The Chicken Boots Project Bag is one of the original designs that started Chicken Boots. It was a best seller from the beginning and now you can make one too!
Straps Fit Over Shoulder
Three Pockets (one is see-through)
Sewing the Project Bag is excellent for building your bag making skills. Expect to work with stiffener, binding, and 3-D assembly. Some steps require some heavy duty seam work.
The included How-To Video walks you through all the steps in an encouraging and confidence building way. The written instructions have large step-by-step photos with tips along the way.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- 13" wide, 9.5" tall, 6" deep (see images)
- Written and Illustrated Sewing Instructions including an At-A-Glance page for quick reference and Video Time Stamps, 27 pages.
- Two Printable Pattern Formats (actual pattern pieces- you do not need to draft them):
- Print at Home: 17 pages 8 1/2" x 11" or A4 paper (minimal taping required)
- Print at a Copy Shop: 1 sheet of 36" x 48" paper
- Sewing Video Tutorial
- Imperial and Metric are provided.
Download links expire after 5 download attempts. Once you receive your link, download it immediately and save it to a file on your computer so you have it forever. (Downloads usually appear at the bottom of the web page in the bottom left corner and also in your Downloads folder on your computer; You can also search your computer to find them.)
Once you purchase the pattern, it will be emailed to you instantly. Check your spam folder if you don't see it. The Download link is also on the purchase confirmation page when you finish your transaction.
Please read the Read Me file for your Video link and helpful printing tips!
You're welcome to make and sell the Project Bag if you have purchased the pattern but only if you're on a home-based business scale. If you have questions on what scale 'home-based' is just ask! Please use the hashtag so we can feature your creations!
To make the Project Bag as pictured:
Fabrics and material:
Most medium weight wovens will work well for the Project Bag. If your outer fabric is very lightweight, try adding a layer of interfacing behind it. If you use a very heavy weight fabric, such as denim or waxed canvas, consider omitting the stiffener for ease of sewing. You can find vinyl and stiffener at most major fabric stores. Optional: Fabric can be used instead of vinyl, be sure to add to your purchase.
- 1/2 yd (.5m) 45" (115 cm) wide Outer Fabric
- 1/2 yd (.5m) 45" (115 cm) wide Lining Fabric
- 3/4 yd (.7m) 20" (51 cm) wide non-fusible Stiffener such as Pellon 70 (Stiffener may not be necessary if your Outer or Lining fabrics are heavy duty or you do not require a stiff bag).
- 1/4 yd (.23m) 54" (137 cm) wide Vinyl such as 12 guage matte (readily available at JoAnn Fabrics in the U.S. NOTE: You can replace the Vinyl with fabric. The sewing steps are the same.
Yardages will accommodate one-way or allover prints, but allow extra for centering motifs.
- 1" (2.54 cm) wide Webbing, 2.5 yards ( 2.25 m)
- 3/8" ( 9.5 mm) wide Elastic, 6"/15 cm
- 1.375" (35 mm) wide bias binding, 4 yds (3.7 m) double fold packaged or make your own *
- Needles suitable for heavy duty sewing; all machines vary. Suggested sizes: 90/14 and 100/16 or 110/18. Test your materials.
* A fat quarter of fabric can yield 5.5 yds (5 m) of bias binding that measures 1.375" (35 mm) wide.
Here are some helpful videos to cut and sew your own bias binding:
Share what you make! Or check out the hashtags to see the Project Bags made by others!