A PDF Sewing Pattern to make a Pocket Bucket.
*Kits are coming soon! Check back HERE.*
Simple in design, the Pocket Bucket's construction and fabrication make the perfect utility bucket. Pockets on the outside leave uninterrupted space in the interior. Instructions are provided for fabric or vinyl pockets. There are SEVEN Pockets! One on either tall End, and a Double Pocket on one side and a Triple Pocket on the other side. They can be made in Vinyl or Fabric. You can choose to bind or hem Fabric Pockets.
Sewing the Pocket Bucket is excellent for building your bag making skills. Expect to work with stiffener, binding, and 3-D assembly. Some steps require some heavy duty seam work.
The included How-To Video walks you through all the steps in an encouraging and confidence building way. The written instructions have large step-by-step photos with tips along the way.
Skill Level: Intermediate, the last step is pretty heavy duty
- 8.5" wide, 11" tall (on Ends), 8.5" deep, front to back (see images)
- Written and Illustrated Sewing Instructions including an At-A-Glance page for quick reference and Video Time Stamps, 27 pages.
- Print at Home: 11 pages 8 1/2" x 11" or A4 paper (minimal taping required)
- Sewing Video Tutorial (with Time Stamps, Subtitles/Closed Captioning and some extra options)
- Imperial and Metric are provided.
Download links expire after 5 download attempts. You will receive a link to a .zip file to download. There are three files inside. Instructions and Print-at-Home Pattern (both PDFs) and a Read Me file that is in Word- this file contains a private link to your YouTube video tutorial. Once you receive the link to your .zip file, download it immediately and save it to a file on your computer so you have it forever. (Downloads usually appear at the bottom of the web page in the bottom left corner and also in your Downloads folder on your computer; You can also search your computer to find them.)
Once you purchase the pattern, it will be emailed to you instantly. Check your spam folder if you don't see it. The Download link is also on the purchase confirmation page when you finish your transaction, just give it a few seconds to load.
Please read the Read Me file for your Video link and helpful printing tips!
You're welcome to make and sell the Pocket Bucket if you have purchased the pattern but only if you're on a home-based business scale. If you have questions on what scale 'home-based' is just ask! Please use the hashtag so we can feature your creations!
To make the Pocket Bucket as pictured:
Fabrics and material:
Most medium weight wovens will work well, such as quilting cotton. A lighter weight fabric will work for the outer and the interior fabrics if you are using the stiffener as suggested. If you use a very heavy weight fabric, such as denim or waxed canvas, consider omitting the stiffener for ease of sewing. Optional: Vinyl can be used for the pockets. You can find vinyl and stiffener at most major fabric stores. The bag pictured was made using 12 gauge matte (non-glare) vinyl and Pellon 70 (non-fusible Peltex).
- Outer Fabric (for Pocket Bucket with Vinyl Pockets): 5/8 yd (57 cm) 45" (115 cm) wide
Outer Fabric (for Pocket Bucket with Fabric Pockets): 3/4 yd (70 cm) 45" (115 cm) wide Outer Fabric
Lining Fabric 1/3 yd (31 cm) 45" (115 cm) wide
- 3/4 yd (.7m) 20" (51 cm) wide non-fusible Stiffener such as Pellon 70 (Stiffener may not be necessary if your Outer or Lining fabrics are heavy duty or you do not require a stiff bag).
- For Pocket Bucket with Vinyl Pockets: 1/4 yd (23 cm) 54" (137 cm) wide Vinyl such as 12 gauge matte (readily available at JoAnn Fabrics in the U.S.)
Yardages will accommodate one-way or allover prints, but allow extra for centering motifs.
- 1" (2.54 cm) wide Webbing, 1/2 yards ( 45 cm)
- 1.375" (35 mm) wide bias binding, 3.5 yds (3.2 m) double fold packaged or make your own * Folding is not required. You need less if you're hemming your pockets.
- Needles suitable for heavy duty sewing; all machines vary. Suggested sizes: 90/14 and 100/16 or 110/18. Test your materials.
* A fat quarter of fabric can yield 5.5 yds (5 m) of bias binding that measures 1.375" (35 mm) wide.
Here's some sew alongs on YouTube but you get a dedicated video as described above with the purchase. I made a Pocket Bucket 75% size and it's my favorite now!
Here are some helpful videos to cut and sew your own bias binding:
Share what you make! Or check out the hashtags to see the Project Bags made by others!