PDF Sewing Pattern to make a Wallaby.
The Wallaby is an open bag design that is easy to use and acts as a craft bucket. There is one exterior and one interior pocket. The webbing finish also acts as a handle. Roomy for medium sized projects. And it's reversible! Check the Photos for comparisons to the Project Bag Pattern and to see it reversed. You can purchase 2" wide webbing in three colors HERE.
ROOMY, WIDE-MOUTH BAG
Sewing the Wallaby is straight-forward. Binding and a nifty way to finish the top edge will enhance your sewing skill set.
The included How-To Video walks you through all the steps in an encouraging and confidence building way. The written instructions have large step-by-step photos with tips along the way.
Skill Level: Beginner
- 12.5" wide at the base, 17.5" at the top, 10.5" tall, 7.5" deep, front to back (see images)
- Written and Illustrated Sewing Instructions including an At-A-Glance page for quick reference and Video Time Stamps, 21 pages.
- Print at Home: 11 pages 8 1/2" x 11" or A4 paper (minimal taping required)
- Sewing Video Tutorial (with Time Stamps, Subtitles/Closed Captioning and some extra options)
- Imperial and Metric are provided.
- Download links do not expire-Keep your email with the download links. Once you receive your link, download it immediately and save it to a file on your computer so you have it forever. (Downloads usually appear at the bottom of the web page in the bottom left corner and also in your Downloads folder on your computer; You can also search your computer to find them.)
Once you purchase the pattern, the download link(s) will be emailed to you instantly. Check your spam folder if you don't see it. The Download link is also on the purchase confirmation page when you finish your transaction.
Please read the Read Me file for your Video link and helpful printing tips!
You're welcome to make and sell the Wallaby if you have purchased the pattern but only if you're on a home-based business scale. If you have questions on what scale 'home-based' is just ask! Please use the hashtag so we can feature your creations!
To make the Wallaby as pictured:
Fabrics and material:
Light weight canvas and medium weight wovens like denim, twill, or waxed canvas work best for the outer fabric of the Wallaby. The bags shown in solid were made using a 10 oz. canvas for the outer fabric and for the lining a printed cotton Twill from Spoonflower for one bag and quilting cotton for the others.
- Outer Fabric 5/8 yd (57 cm) 45" (115 cm) wide
Lining Fabric 5/8 yd (57 cm) 45" (115 cm) wide
- For fabric 54" (137 cm) wide: 1/2 yd/ 45 cm
Yardages will accommodate one-way or allover prints, but allow extra for centering motifs.
- Webbing: 1.5-2" wide webbing (38-51 mm wide) you need 1 yd /92 cm exactly. You can also use 2 pieces of 1"/2.54 cm wide webbing: 2 yds/1.8 m exactly.
- 1.375" (35 mm) wide bias binding, 3 yds (2.7 m) double fold packaged or make your own * Folding is not required.
- Needles suitable for heavy duty sewing; all machines vary. Suggested sizes: 90/14 and 100/16. Test your materials.
You can purchase 2" wide webbing in three colors HERE.
* A fat quarter of fabric can yield 5.5 yds (5 m) of bias binding that measures 1.375" (35 mm) wide.
Here are some sew alongs. I sewed the Wallabyb full size, cover a tip for attaching the handle, demonstrate making a handle from fabric and sew a Wallaby that is 75% size:
Here are some helpful videos to cut and sew your own bias binding:
Share what you make! Or check out the hashtags to see the Project Bags made by others!